Subject: Re: tips on getting started making $ with photography

My opinion: Jump on in! Quit preparing! Do them all, today!

Or find a photographer who you want to emulate and then do what they did to
get were they are. If they did it, so can you, if you put the time, effort
and talent into it.

I have done them all:

My base suggestions:

Try to get published by as many national publications as possible, and as
many times as possible.

Collect some of your very best images that you have on certain theme, put
some words to them and send them to a publication that publishes articles
with similar stories.

Writers Digest has some very good books on how to write for the magazine
market.

Personally I never used Photographers Market Books. I used the local Book
store looking at publications that fit my shooting style. And then I sent in
photo-text packages to them or asked for a photographers want list.

Websites: Good; Cheap; can be made very nice, hard to get money flowing in
unless you are well known; see getting nationally published.

Make a book: Hard to get a publisher to do a book for you unless you are
well known: see see getting nationally published.

Publish your own book: Big expense, huge risk, a heck of a lot of work, but
if you can swing it, it would be a good start. IF you can make a good book
that will be bought by people who don't know you.

Prints at Coffee house or library's or hospitals, very slow start not very
many sales unless you are well known: see getting nationally published.

Art Festivals: Big expense, a lot of time and a lot of work and a lot of
risk. Takes a year to really start to get going. A lot of travel and work,
Politics' for getting in good shows: Good; making contacts, learning what
sells and what doesn't. Also see getting nationally published.

You will have to just do all these things yourself. I have met many
"wannabees" that told me "I am going to to do this and that". Quit saying
you are going to do something and just do it. Every working photographer has
had hard bumps and made huge mistakes along the way.

I am not trying to say your a wannabee and that you haven't done stuff but
take those next big steps and jump on in, the waters fine! Do it as a
business and not a hobby.

Paul Wilson
PhotoStockfile

On 4/17/06 9:34 AM, in article
1145280894.652704.38820@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "Kernix"
wrote:

> That's what I did. I got samples, contact info and submission
> guidelines. I have a 4' high file cabinet with all the info on
> prospectives that publish the types of pics that I take.
>
> I'm just wondering should I focus on scanning my pics and getting a
> website up, or focus on putting together a book, or focus on making
> prints and doing coffeehouse shows, or buying a booth at art festivals,
> or trying to get a show in a gallery, or contact prospective buyers
> directly, or.........?
>
> Jim

tips on getting started making $ with photography =>Re: tips on getting started making $ with photography =>Re: tips on getting started making $ with photography =>Re: tips on getting started making $ with photography =>Re: tips on getting started making $ with photography =>Re: tips on getting started making $ with photography =>Re: tips on getting started making $ with photography =>