Subject: Re: copyright?

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:35:57 +0900, Stewy
wrote:

>Personally I feel if I find a striking or original photo on the net, I'd
>like to get it - not for any commercial considerations but simply to
>have a beautiful thing.

May 2, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Yes, and if the owner of such a beautiful
thing designed the website properly, there
would be no problem with that.

For example, if you took an image from my
website, you'd have a beautiful thing to
display onscreen. But the images are only
four hundred pixels high, so if you wanted to
make a print, it would be only a couple of
inches high. Selling it would be difficult.

Of course, some brochure designer who needs a
one inch image could use it. And since the
circulation of the brochure is unlikely to
reach me, I'm out of luck. But really,
copyright is expensive to enforce, and one is
unlikely to go after very small perpetrators.
And big corporate users protect themselves by
being careful.

My pictures have been on the web for years,
and I have discovered no problem with anyting
being 'stolen'. The nature of the internet,
and the nature of a website, is to send out
material for download. Do we really expect
recipients to erase everything? Obviously
people will keep what they like. The whole
point used to be to get people to keep what
they liked!

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.