Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

Xiaoding wrote:

> We need to define our terms: the word "light" here is being used
> rather loosely. I define "speed of light" as it's speed in a vaccuum.
> i define "light" as a single photon.
>
> When you read that the "speed" of light is slowed in a medium, it means
> that the propogation of it is delayed. However, the speed of one
> photon, as it leaves one atom and goes to another IS NOT SLOWED. This
> is the source of much confusion, even among scientists! If I'm wrong,
> let me know, always want to know. The "delay" is referring to the
> propogation of the wavefront, which is diff. from a single photon. The
> speed of light does not change, not ever, or Einstein was wrong. The
> "delay" is caused by atoms getting in the way of the wavefront,
> absorbing it, re-emitting it, etc. This cocept is never explained in
> the popular press, or the scientific press, either!

Lemme guess--sophomore physics major.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>