Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

"Dennis (Icarus)" wrote in message
news:eff81$445b49b8$18d64cf6$26344@KNOLOGY.NET...
> "Xiaoding" wrote in message
>> "So if the photon's propagation is delayed, then, in effect, the speed
>> of
>> that photon is slowed.
>> In other words, the photon travels less distance, for the same amount
>> of
>> time, in water than it does in a vacuum. "
>>
>> Yes, but no.
>>
>> The propogation of photons is delayed, yes. But individual pjotons do
>> not propogate, they only travel in a vaccuum.
>> they then hit something, are absorbed, and then that something (an
>> atom, say) re-emits another photon. But not the same
>> photon, a new one.
>
> IIRC, photons, like most other subatomic particles, are indistinguishable
> from one another.
>

>> The speed of the photon from one atom to another is not slowed. The
>> propogation of information, in the form of a
>> photon packet, or group of photons, is slowed. This is what the
>> experiment is about, the storage of information
>> contained in a photon grouping.
>>

> So light, traveling through a medium other than a vaccuum, is slowed since
> it takes
> longer for it to travel the same distance than it would if the material
> wasn't there.
>
> Again, take a look at:
> http://acept.la.asu.edu/PiN/rdg/refraction/refraction.shtml
> "The change of direction of light as it passes from one medium to another
> is
> associated with a change in velocity and wavelength. The energy of the
> light
> is unchanged as it passes from one media to another. When visible light in
> air enters a medium such as glass, the velocity of light decreases to 75%
> of
> its velocity in air and in other materials the decrease can be even more
> substantial."
>
> Or,
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=light
>
> Now, if you want to phocus on individual photons, cool, that's your
> choice.
> Thats not what I'm focusing on when I'm trying to take an underwater
> picture
> :-)
>
> Dennis

In the same way that introducing Adolf Hitler and the Nazis into an internet
argument forces you to lose, I believe that introducing Albert Einstein and
the theory of relativity into any argument about physics should also force a
loss......

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>