Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

"Xiaoding" wrote in message
news:1146752482.308729.319130@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> "So if the photon's propagation is delayed, then, in effect, the speed
> of
> that photon is slowed.
> In other words, the photon travels less distance, for the same amount
> of
> time, in water than it does in a vacuum. "
>
> Yes, but no.
>
> The propogation of photons is delayed, yes. But individual pjotons do
> not propogate, they only travel in a vaccuum.
> they then hit something, are absorbed, and then that something (an
> atom, say) re-emits another photon. But not the same
> photon, a new one.

IIRC, photons, like most other subatomic particles, are indistinguishable
from one another.

> The speed of the photon from one atom to another is not slowed. The
> propogation of information, in the form of a
> photon packet, or group of photons, is slowed. This is what the
> experiment is about, the storage of information
> contained in a photon grouping.

So light, traveling through a medium other than a vaccuum, is slowed since
it takes
longer for it to travel the same distance than it would if the material
wasn't there.

Again, take a look at:
http://acept.la.asu.edu/PiN/rdg/refraction/refraction.shtml
"The change of direction of light as it passes from one medium to another is
associated with a change in velocity and wavelength. The energy of the light
is unchanged as it passes from one media to another. When visible light in
air enters a medium such as glass, the velocity of light decreases to 75% of
its velocity in air and in other materials the decrease can be even more
substantial."

Or,
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=light

Now, if you want to phocus on individual photons, cool, that's your choice.
Thats not what I'm focusing on when I'm trying to take an underwater picture
:-)

Dennis

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>