Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

In article <1146256083.851304.183680@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,
Xiaoding writes
>We need to define our terms: the word "light" here is being used
>rather loosely. I define "speed of light" as it's speed in a vaccuum.
>i define "light" as a single photon.
>
>When you read that the "speed" of light is slowed in a medium, it means
>that the propogation of it is delayed. However, the speed of one
>photon, as it leaves one atom and goes to another IS NOT SLOWED. This
>is the source of much confusion, even among scientists! If I'm wrong,
>let me know, always want to know. The "delay" is referring to the
>propogation of the wavefront, which is diff. from a single photon. The
>speed of light does not change, not ever, or Einstein was wrong.

Einstein never claimed that the speed (more properly velocity) of light
was constant, he did use it for his theories of relativity.

>The
>"delay" is caused by atoms getting in the way of the wavefront,
>absorbing it, re-emitting it, etc. This cocept is never explained in
>the popular press, or the scientific press, either!

Probably because we have moved on from classical particle analysis and
find field theory from QED a better description.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=resul
t&cd=1&q=%22propagation+of+light+through+a+medium%22&spell=1
--
Ian G8ILZ

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>