Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

In article <1146201357.151878.46520@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
dj_nme@hotmail.com writes
>Scott W wrote:
>> obt wrote:
>>
>> > Honestly, I thought you guys are all joking.
>> > To sumurise theory of relativity, the speed of light is the universal
>> > constant, it never changes, through vacuum, air or water. It refracts,
>> > just no speed bumps...
>>
>> I think you must have been sleeping during physics class, it does slow
>> down in glass and water.
>>
>> Scott
>
>That isn't strictly correct.
>The reason why light appears to slow down in a transparent medium is
>because the photons are absorbed and then re-emitted by the electrons
>in the outer orbits of the atoms that make up the media.
>It is the miniscule delay between the two states that causes the
>wavefront to slow down.
>That also explains why any medium (other than a vacuum) attenuates a
>light wave propagating through it, the emitted photons are always at a
>slightly lower energy than the absorbed photons.

A couple of things wrong here; atoms have specific energy absorption and
emission bands and re-emission is in a random direction.
--
Ian G8ILZ

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>