Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

dj_nme@hotmail.com wrote:
> Scott W wrote:
> > obt wrote:
> >
> > > Honestly, I thought you guys are all joking.
> > > To sumurise theory of relativity, the speed of light is the universal
> > > constant, it never changes, through vacuum, air or water. It refracts,
> > > just no speed bumps...
> >
> > I think you must have been sleeping during physics class, it does slow
> > down in glass and water.
> >
> > Scott
>
> That isn't strictly correct.
> The reason why light appears to slow down in a transparent medium is
> because the photons are absorbed and then re-emitted by the electrons
> in the outer orbits of the atoms that make up the media.
> It is the miniscule delay between the two states that causes the
> wavefront to slow down.
> That also explains why any medium (other than a vacuum) attenuates a
> light wave propagating through it, the emitted photons are always at a
> slightly lower energy than the absorbed photons.

This can not be true, it would mean the light would be red shifted
going through glass, it is not.

Scott

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>