Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

Scott W wrote:
> obt wrote:
>
> > Honestly, I thought you guys are all joking.
> > To sumurise theory of relativity, the speed of light is the universal
> > constant, it never changes, through vacuum, air or water. It refracts,
> > just no speed bumps...
>
> I think you must have been sleeping during physics class, it does slow
> down in glass and water.
>
> Scott

That isn't strictly correct.
The reason why light appears to slow down in a transparent medium is
because the photons are absorbed and then re-emitted by the electrons
in the outer orbits of the atoms that make up the media.
It is the miniscule delay between the two states that causes the
wavefront to slow down.
That also explains why any medium (other than a vacuum) attenuates a
light wave propagating through it, the emitted photons are always at a
slightly lower energy than the absorbed photons.

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>