Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

In article <1146045184.504762.126790@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
cjcampbell writes

>dweeb wrote:
>> cjcampbell wrote:
>> > Okay, seriously, I know that the speed of light changes slightly
>>
>> OK, seriously, are we going to hear you start jabbering about the sea
>> of ether next?
>
>You were not aware, Dweeb, that what we call C, the speed of light, is
>the speed of light in a vacuum? The speed of light slows as it passes
>through any transparent medium; the denser and colder the medium the
>more it slows. This was discovered by Jean Foucault in 1850 and is
>considered one of the basics of physics. The amount that light slows is
>called the refractive index and this index is always greater than one.
>It is why refraction occurs.
>
>The reason the OP was a bit silly is that even though light is slowed
>when traveling through water, we are not attempting to photograph light
>that is moving from one medium to another. A lens has the same
>refractive index no matter where the light came from. The refractive
>index of a lens does not change simply because the refractive index of
>water is different than that of air.

However the angle of refraction depends on the difference in the
refractive indices of the two media forming the interface, i.e. going
from 1.0 t 1.5 will not be the same as from 1.1 to 1.5.

--
Ian G8ILZ

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>