Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

In article ,
Frank Pittel wrote:

> In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Michael Weinstein
> wrote:
> : On 2006-04-24 17:27:28 -0400, "alex" said:
>
> : >
> : > "Dave Hillstrom" wrote in message
> : > news:1145843218.216398.119160@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> : >> You can't use regular lenses underwater, that's why you always see
> : >> special cameras on ocean documentaries and such. People think it's
> : >> because they need to be waterproof but the real reason is the speed of
> : >> light underwater is different than in air and it makes the light bend
> : >> at different angles through the lenses.
> : >> Einstein proved it.
> : >>
> : >
> : > Someone wasn't concentrating in Physics at school...
>
> : No, I think someone didn't actually TAKE Physics in school.
>
> When I was taking physics light traveled slower in water then in air.

The lens is constructed on the assumption that all the glass surfaces
are in contact with air. This is still the case except for the front
surface which will be in contact with water. As far as I can figure out
all that means is that part of the focussing range of the lens will be
useless.

-- tim

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>