Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

dweeb wrote:
> cjcampbell wrote:
> > Okay, seriously, I know that the speed of light changes slightly
>
> OK, seriously, are we going to hear you start jabbering about the sea
> of ether next?

You were not aware, Dweeb, that what we call C, the speed of light, is
the speed of light in a vacuum? The speed of light slows as it passes
through any transparent medium; the denser and colder the medium the
more it slows. This was discovered by Jean Foucault in 1850 and is
considered one of the basics of physics. The amount that light slows is
called the refractive index and this index is always greater than one.
It is why refraction occurs.

The reason the OP was a bit silly is that even though light is slowed
when traveling through water, we are not attempting to photograph light
that is moving from one medium to another. A lens has the same
refractive index no matter where the light came from. The refractive
index of a lens does not change simply because the refractive index of
water is different than that of air.

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>