Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

"Michael Weinstein" wrote:

>> When I was taking physics light traveled slower in water then in air.
>
> And it still does. But that doesn't confer any sense to the OP's
> statement. Lenses are not built according to the speed of light.

Sure they are. The difference in the speed of light in the medium is where
the index of refraction comes from. So if the front element of your lens
were in the water, it would make a difference. But it's not, so it doesn't.

I had a friend at MIT doing submarine radio.

Me: Huh? Radio waves don't propagate in water???
Him: Sure they do, but only at low frequencies, e.g. around 1 Hz.
Me: 1 Hz??? That's completely useless.
Him: Not at all. All you need to transmit is one bit: fire the nuke-tipped
missile or not.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>