Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

"Lionel" wrote in message
news:97ip42lqt6t029ob1u4fjn26ilke62smk3@4ax.com...
> On 23 Apr 2006 23:00:51 -0700, "cjcampbell"
> opined:
>

> >Dave Hillstrom wrote:
> >> You can't use regular lenses underwater, that's why you always see
> >> special cameras on ocean documentaries and such. People think it's
> >> because they need to be waterproof but the real reason is the speed of
> >> light underwater is different than in air and it makes the light bend
> >> at different angles through the lenses.
> >> Einstein proved it.
> >
> >So, I suppose that is also the reason you need different lenses to take
> >telephoto pictures than the lenses you would use for wide angle. Light
> >from different distances travels at different speeds? No doubt this is
> >due to the fact that light traveling from farther away has to go
> >through more haze, so it passes through more water on the way to the
> >camera. It would explain depth of field, too. A lens set at a
> >particular focal length can only bend light traveling at a particular
> >speed at the correct angle. Light that is going too fast or too slow
> >would, of course, bend at the wrong angle and thus the foreground and
> >background are out of focus. That being the case, you would also need
> >special lenses in space, where light does not travel through any water
> >at all.
> >
> >Or maybe it is just wrong to encourage this nut.
>
> Yes it is, because he has zero interest in the topic & is posting only
> to generate as many responses as possible. Please don't encourage him.

Aren't you the same guy who told him to "Fuck off Bowtie" only seven hours
earlier? Way to not reply.

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>