Subject: Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different

Prometheus wrote:
> In article <1145858451.759527.73370@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,
> cjcampbell writes
> >
> >Dave Hillstrom wrote:
> >> You can't use regular lenses underwater, that's why you always see
> >> special cameras on ocean documentaries and such. People think it's
> >> because they need to be waterproof but the real reason is the speed of
> >> light underwater is different than in air and it makes the light bend
> >> at different angles through the lenses.
> >> Einstein proved it.
> >
> >So, I suppose that is also the reason you need different lenses to take
> >telephoto pictures than the lenses you would use for wide angle. Light
> >from different distances travels at different speeds? No doubt this is
> >due to the fact that light traveling from farther away has to go
> >through more haze, so it passes through more water on the way to the
> >camera. It would explain depth of field, too. A lens set at a
> >particular focal length can only bend light traveling at a particular
> >speed at the correct angle. Light that is going too fast or too slow
> >would, of course, bend at the wrong angle and thus the foreground and
> >background are out of focus. That being the case, you would also need
> >special lenses in space, where light does not travel through any water
> >at all.
> >
> >Or maybe it is just wrong to encourage this nut.
>
> No, it is you who is wrong. Light DOES travel at a lower speed through
> water than air The refraction at the water/glass interface of the front
> element when immersed in water is very different to the air/glass
> interface when in air. The effect of water vapour in air is much, much
> less; although droplets will cause random refractions and make objects
> blurred.

Okay, seriously, I know that the speed of light changes slightly as it
travels through water, glass, and just about anything else. That said,
the lenses used in underwater photography work perfectly well on dry
ground, in space, or just about anywhere else.

I should have known that attempting any humor at all on Usenet is
dangerous...

You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>Re: You use different lenses underwater because the speed of light is different =>