Home Products Download Order Contacts


Subject: Re: Product/Still Photography Question

> I am working as a designer for a small business putting out a catalog
> and website. Since I have a few years schooling in photography (tho
> nearly a decade ago) and a small personal business as a photographer
> doing real estate and landscape photography, the company has asked that
> I try my hand at doing some product photography for them, as it is a
> bit out of their budget to hire and outside vendor. I said I'd give it
> a shot, but would need some additional equipment, although the budget
> is very limited....I'm excited at this opportunity to try and expand my
> skill set, but...
> The products are mostly tabletop sized - dinnerware, such a fiestaware
> plates, stainless steel pans/pots, etc. What we'd like to accommplish
> is a preferably seamless white background with little shadow. I'm
> assume the use of a light tent, including sweeps, will be
> necessary....30x30x30 - good size or larger? What about lighting? Will
> a couple of flood lights on each side of the tent work, or should I get
> a small boom for overhead lighting as well? There is a possibillity of
> doing some glassware...will I need a light panel to light from below
> for these shots or just a graduated color sweep? Lastly, since my
> employer will want the images digital and as quickly as possible, I'll
> be using my Nikon D70. Will the 18-70 lens be ok, or should I look into
> investing in a different type of lens? More tele?
> Did I miss anything? Anything you would change? Pointers or
> websites/books you would suggest?

search ebay for ezcube. 30 inch one will probably be all you need. a larger
one probably won't fit on a table.

flood lights on either side....(the z-man once again starts ripping the few
hairs left on his head out, groaning and moaning.) 50 years ago photogs
knew better than to cross light, only the cheapest of passport and the
sleasiest of kiddy pix places used mug shot lighting, a light on either
side, but then they invented umbrellas and it was very difficult to position
one over the camera so the companies selling them would show an illustration
of the 'kit' with an umbrella on either side of the camera.

place one light on one side of the cube, the light should reflect off the
other side and give a semi directional enough light, a boom to aim down
might be a good thing too.

go to tap plastics and have a sheet of clear plexi bent so you can set in
the cube, held a couple inches off the floor, the back curls up so there is
no horizon edge and that will kill your shadow, especially if you put a
light below

light glass from behind.


View All Messages in rec.photo.misc

Product/Still Photography Question =>


Copyright 2006 WatermarkFactory.com. All Rights Reserved.