Subject: Re: Photo size specification

> Thanks, but if you are providing blackbox instructions for specific
> software rather than an explanation, perhaps you have instructions for the
> Gimp or Image Magick? Then, after doing the incantations, I'll look and
> see what has really happened.

Well, I'd hate to give "blackbox instructions for specific software", so
I'll forgo giving instructions for the Gimp or Image Magick, and give you
the white-box, general-purpose instructions:

1. In your image editing program, set the DPI to 300.
2. Now, tell your editing program to make the image 150mm on the long side.

If your image editing program can't perform those, then you have two
choices:

1. Get software that can. If your software doesn't have such basic
functionality, its usefulness is highly suspect.
2. Convert 150mm to inches (hint: It's not quite 6 inches like you
mentioned), and multiply that by 300 to obtain the number of pixels. Have
your image program make your image that many pixels on the long edge.

> As it turns out, the camera I used sets the metadata in the exif header to
> 300 dpi (curiously, my other camera sets 72 dpi), so all I have to do is
> find if the 150 mm is set in the metadata or if it is a calculation
> resulting from the dots per inch and the real pixel size of the
> photograph..

While it is possible that your printer is going to use the metadata, it's
not terribly likely - it's vastly more probably that you just need to turn
in an image of the correct number of pixels. However, there's no way that
we can guess as to what your specific printer wants, so you'd have to ask
them yourself if you want to be sure.

steve

Photo size specification =>Re: Photo size specification =>Re: Photo size specification =>