Subject: Re: Photo restoration - how to deal with silvery sheen in parts of image?

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:59:53 +1100, Brian
wrote:

>George wrote:
>> Some 80 year old photos in my possession have an odd haze or sheen
>> over some areas, mostly within a couple centimeters of the edge. The
>> areas mostly affected are dark. Thus the shadow detail is obscured.
>> The haze or sheen is not uniform, but more evident in some dark areas
>> than other dark areas. It seems that areas sullied by fingerprints are
>> less affected.
>>
>> The photos don't scan very well. The sheen is quite pronounced.
>>
>> The angle of light has an effect on the sheen, but I can't find an
>> angle that gets rid of it satisfactorily to give me a good
>> reproduction (by digital camera).
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> G.
>
>Hi George,
>
>do you have an example you can upload to your web space and let us view?

I've posted it to alt.binaries.photography, alt.binaries.photos, and
alt.binaries.picture. (These ngs are not that busy and not that
infested with porn.)

The title is Sheen example 1024.jpg.

G.

Photo restoration - how to deal with silvery sheen in parts of image? =>Re: Photo restoration - how to deal with silvery sheen in parts of image? =>