Subject: Re: Organizing My Photos for Market

Ric Trexell wrote:
> "GrizFan1" wrote in message
> > I have several hundred images I've scanned & burned on CD's & would
> > like to market them to galleries, magazines (for covers), calendars,
> > postcards, etc
> Griz: What you need to do is not worry so much about how to present these
> to buyers, but learn the trade a little. As for selling pictures to
> magazines, a good place to start is going to www.photosource.com and reading
> Stock Photography 101.

Thanks. I've bookmarked the site & will follow up.

> There are a lot of issues. For example, a cover
> shot with people can be considered advertising and thus would be a
> commercial shot. If it has people, you might need a release. If it is used
> inside as an editorial shot, you don't need it.

I know that.

>As for galleries, you might
> buy the book Photographers Market and look up in there what the galleries
> want.

I've read Photographer's Market (PM), in depth; in fact, I have it
almost memorized. I'm no fool. I've owned, and read, books on
marketing photos, by Ron Engh, etc. All I asked was what is a good
Mac-based photo management tool, other than iPhoto. It's possible
iPhoto is adequate; I just haven't gotten into it, yet. What I'm
talking about is assigning subject categories, etc.

>Burning pictures to a CD might get you no where. If they get in 1000
> pictures a day in nice portfolios, they will page through them in no time.
> If they have to load up your CD and take a half hour to sort through them,
> they may just toss the CD.

It's curious why you promote print portfolios over CD portfolios, when
so many PM buyers accept digital portfolios. If your experience
indicates otherwise, I'd appreciate some elaboration, especially when
PM emphasizes developing a website to market one's work.

>Do a little research on the business so you are
> not wasting your time and that of the people you are trying to reach.

Good advice.

>Also,
> you didn't say what the pictures you have are of. If they are people on
> snowmobiles, don't send them to Gardening Today. If they are flowers, don't
> send them to Sno-Machine Magazine.

As I said, I'm no fool.

Organizing My Photos for Market =>Re: Organizing My Photos for Market =>