Subject: Re: Opinions of my photo please

On 28 Jan 2006 17:20:12 -0800, b.ingraham@shaw.ca wrote:

>I intended with my "bobsversion" version to show what I might have done
>had I seen the original scene and had a camera in hand. Actually, I
>would not have bothered at all, because there is little in the scene to
>cause me to raise camera to eye.
>
>My version is, you will note, a severely cropped portion of the
>original. It is excessively sharpened, because I wanted to point out
>the birds, which are just vague blurs in the original. The dark
>foreground is not great in my version, but it was worse in the
>original, especially the various lights.
>
>I wonder, too, if what you saw on your monitors was considerably
>different than what I saw on mine. I'm using an Apple Cinema monitor
>with a 1280X800 resolution. I changed it to 640X480 resolution, and the
>results were...horrible, with the sharpening and jaggies clearly
>evident. Honestly, on my monitor with the 1280X800 setting, it looks
>quite nice.

That's what I saw and said as much. Likely my monitor (1152 x
864 Viewsonic A90f+) displays differently from yours but the picture
quality still suffers greatly in comparison with other images.

>It's interesting what some of the so-called "critics" will say in
>Usenet groups. Would they "speak their mind" in similar ways in a
>camera club meeting? I rather doubt it.
>
>Bob

A real friend in a camera club will tell the truth. Others
will politely lie and in so doing serve up the condemnation of faint
praise. The anonymity of Usenet allows for candor. It also allows
gratuitous and malicious comment. It is up to the reader to determine
the difference.

John H

Opinions of my photo please =>Re: Opinions of my photo please =>Re: Opinions of my photo please =>Re: Opinions of my photo please =>Re: Opinions of my photo please =>