Subject: Re: Opinions of my photo please

wrote in message
news:1138402320.056715.32560@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> People keep saying that the photo is underexposed, or isn't. Yes it is,
> no it isn't, yes it is. Here's a different take on the discussion:
>
> In the real world, it's difficult or even impossible to take a
> perfectly exposed photo. If highlights are properly exposed, shadows
> will be underexposed, and vice versa. If mid-tones are properly
> exposed, highlights will be over exposed and shadows underexposed. If a
> scene contains specular reflections or other intense sources of light,
> those parts of the image will be overexposed to the point of being
> blocked and quite free of detail. A properly used incident light meter
> provides the best opportunity of exposing a photograph for the average
> range of light, which will be the correct exposure if the entire scene
> were photo gray.
>
> It seems to me that Jaqian's photo is pretty much properly exposed *for
> the sky,* which is what he was trying to photograph in the first place.
> So what if the foreground, which is in shadow, is underexposed? It
> really doesn't matter! Of greater concern is the cropping, or lack of
> it. How about a portrait orientatation 2/3 of the image concentrating
> on four cranes and the beautiful clouds...and birds! A higher ISO might
> have allowed a faster shutter speed, which might have captured the
> birds more clearly, but a bit of sharpening served well. The bridge
> could mostly go; I find the lights on it, and most of the other lights,
> distracting. The bulk of the dark building at the right tries to
> upstage the sunrise, but succeeds only in degrading the image.
>
> Here's my take on Jaqian's image:
> http://www.ingraham.ca/bobsinterpretationweb.jpg.
>
> Bob

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /bobsinterpretationweb.jpg on this
server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.ingraham.ca Port 80

Opinions of my photo please =>Re: Opinions of my photo please =>Re: Opinions of my photo please =>