Subject: Re: Canon 1D vs 5D

You'd be disappointed with the 135 sized sensor (the term "fullframe" is
complete bollocks, everything is "fullframe" for the format it's designed
as, remember that 135 is very small compared to real cameras which have
6x6cm frames or larger).
Combined with the EF mount you're getting quite serious edge distortion,
especially with shorter lenses.

"Don" wrote in message
> Not to mention the sensor size difference. Also the cameras are designed
> for different purposes. Hence such things as the difference in FPS etc,
> buffer sizes and so on. Establish your purpose and then determine which
> of the two machines meets your needs. I have the 1d mk11n not as a "penis
> extender" (to old these days to worry) but as a result of it meeting my
> primary need which is photographing fast moving little birds and sports.
> Its perfect for these uses (in my view anyway, others may disagree). I
> would have the 5D (as well) if I could afford it for landscape and
> portraiture simply due to its full frame sensor. Both are very well built
> with the 1D having the edge in weather sealing, robustness etc.
>
> regards
>
> Don
> "Jeroen Wenting" wrote in message
>>> I am thinking about picking up a new camera in the next several months.
>>> (I
>>> haved shot a lot on the digital rebel, and the elan eos II, but I am
>>> really
>>> looking to get into something higher end) I am looking at the canon 1D
>>> and
>>> 5D.
>>>
>>> I noticed the following:
>>> The 5D is cheaper
>> should tell you something about the overall quality and durability.
>>
>>> The 5D is a higher resloution
>> which is completely useless, the difference isn't significant (only an
>> increase of 300% or more would count as significant).
>>
>>> The reviews I read say the CMOS is the same quality in the 1D and the
>>> 5D.
>>>
>> So it has essentially the same chip.
>>
>>> So what is the reason I would want to buy the more expensive 1D vs, the
>>> higher resloution 5D?
>>>
>> You can probably throw the 1D off the roof of a car onto a pillow and it
>> may still work, you can only throw the 5D off the hood onto that same
>> pillow and hope it still works.
>>
>> For the rest, the 1D may have better lightmeters, AF system, CF write
>> interface, etc. etc.
>>
>> Plus it's a more effective penis extender because it's more expensive,
>> something I notice is extremely important to a lot of people.

Canon 1D vs 5D =>Re: Canon 1D vs 5D =>Re: Canon 1D vs 5D =>