Subject: Re: What happens to neg quality as dev becomes exhausted?

You don't say how you are performing these tests but accutance can affect
the perceived sharpness of the results. I know we're all doing our part to
help the environment on a micro-scale but the effort expended on lens tests
would require me to suggest you use fresh developer for each test for more
repeatable results. Note that most developer components fall into the
categories of harmless or bio-degradable, most of the concern today is about
silver compounds. Most darkroom chemical makers will concur that the amount
of effluent that a home darkroom discharges will never harm even a
micro-ecosystem like a septic system much less a municipal sewage system.

Having said that, and with no desire to spark another long thread on
environmental issues, I must also say that the possibility is quite good
that some, pencil-necked, paper pusher in a city office would have a field
day if you actually tried to be a good guy and comply with all the regs (not
to mention the fact that you'd go broke).

When I saw the local lead acid battery rebuilder washing down his shop
floors into the local storm sewer and drive by the local packing plant daily
gagging and puking because of the smell, drive by the local metal plating
plant wondering what they are putting into the air and ground water and
observe the soot and crap coming out of the local coal fired power plants I
gave up on micro-ecology and decided to wait until local government reins in
the big boys. The difference of course is jobs and "the economy" local
government will do nothing to stop large scale pollution since it might
upset the local job market.

In the meantime I know that my hobby darkroom (20 to 100 rolls of film per
month--hey even I get busy once in a while) is doing very little to harm the
environment. Kodak, Ilford and everyone else that went on record on this
issue has said so. Even so, I'm a careful worker and frugal in my use of
darkroom materials and am careful about what I put down the drain.

--
darkroommike
"tbrown" wrote in message
> I want to shoot some resolution shots to test my LF lenses. If I use
> D-76 that has been spent developing other negatives, what can I expect
> from the negatives developed beyond the rated capacity? The qualities
> in a negative that the developer impacts are contrast, maximum density
> and accutance (maybe more?). I am guessing that as developer action
> declines, max density suffers, and therfore contrast. Could more
> frequent agitation or increased temperature help this? The point is
> avoid creating more water pollution for negatives that will never be
> printed, but if using old developer makes it impossible to judge the
> quality of the image, then it will not serve as a good indication of
> lens quality. Also, what is the dark precipitate seen in used developer
> that has sat for a while?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

What happens to neg quality as dev becomes exhausted? =>