Subject: Re: Volume ray marching with motion blur?

jondinerstein@yahoo.com wrote:
> How can I get motion blur when volume rendering through ray marching?
> The volume I'm rendering is a voxel grid. The grid doesn't move, but
> the values in the grid change over time based on a navier-stokes fluid
> simulation.

That has me puzzled. Why do you think _motion_ blur is what you need
here? There's clearly no motion, so nothing to blur because of it.
What you need here is pure temporal blur.

If the scene you're rendering is a regular voxel grid that doesn't
move, but changes "colour" in-place, the exact solution only requires
averaging the *scene* over time, then render the averaged scene in a
normal 3D engine. In other words, in this case the operations of
temporal averaging and 3D->2D projection can be exchanged.

Volume ray marching with motion blur? =>