Subject: Re: Visualize curved surface in line mode

Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
> This is not so much a question about algorithm, but more about
> aesthetics: How to sketch out curved surfaces in a editor so
> that it's clearly distinguishable as a such in the most
> minimalistic way?

That feels like a step in a wrong direction, to me. The problem is
that many representations of curved surfaces also have a special case
in which they describe a perfectly flat surface. Would you really
want to insist on distinguishing this from an actual flat primitive,
in such a sketch (as opposed to while actually editing it)? Is that a
visual clue the viewer really needs, rather than a distraction? If
it's really curved, it'll look curved without needing to be treated
specially. Otherwise, making it appear curved would be a visual lie.

It boils down to what that sketch is meant ot show: the surface, or
how it was constructed. For the latter case, "curved surface" as such
is probably not a class that really needs representation --- you'ld
want to distinguish all types of them, instead: one visual clue would
mean it's a NURBS patch, another would indicate a conic, and whatnot.

Visualize curved surface in line mode =>