Subject: Re: Shape that wraps another.

418928@cepsz.unizar.es wrote:
> Hi everybody,

> I have a certain shape X and I want to obtain another larger shape Y
> that wraps X, such that any point that is within a certain distance d
> from every point in X is within Y. Do you know any application that
> allows me to do this?

Those requirements, as stated, would be fulfilled by an enormous
bounding box or bounding circle/sphere. Unless your "shape" X is given
in a rather strange form, computing such a thing should be trivial.

But this is rather likely not what you're really looking for. I guess
you're looking for a much tighter fit than that. The surface of the
set of all points of distance <= d from shape X, say. That's equal to
the set of all points exactly *at* distance d from shape X, and called
an "offset surface" (or offset curve, if you're in 2D), and can be
quite hard to compute. This depends rather heavily on what kind of
shape you have, of course.

Shape that wraps another. =>