Subject: Re: Piecewise Linear Function of 3d Points

Adam Hartshorne wrote:
> Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:
> > Adam Hartshorne wrote:

> >> Ok, I will try and make myself clearer. Imagine doing a linear
> >> regression on some 2d data, now I want to do that to 3d data. This data
> >> is the vertices of a 3d mesh. To further complicate this I want to fit x
> >> number of lines through the data such that if I just had a straight tube
> >> it would simply fit one line through it, but if I was presented with an
> >> L shaped tube I would fit two lines through this with 3 control points.

> > Looks like you're about to re-invent mesh decimation backwards.

> I'm sorry I don't understand your comment,

It's unclear what your input and output data is supposed to be, but
I'll guess they're both polygon meshes in 3D. Input will be a
fine-grained mesh, output should be a much coarse net that only keep
the most prominent features of the input (like the sharp turn in the
'L'). Such a task routinely occurs in constructing a series of lower
level-of-detail scenes from a high-resolution master, and the baseline
algorithm for doing that is known as mesh decimation.

Piecewise Linear Function of 3d Points =>Re: Piecewise Linear Function of 3d Points =>Re: Piecewise Linear Function of 3d Points =>Re: Piecewise Linear Function of 3d Points =>Re: Piecewise Linear Function of 3d Points =>