Subject: Re: Piecewise Linear Function of 3d Points

Kaba wrote:
> In article , adam@dcs.warwick.ac.uk
> says...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Say I have a mesh, lets say in an L shape. Now I want to fit a piecewise
>> linear function to the vertices or faces (doesn't really matter as both
>> give 3d positions) of that mesh. I know this is quite vague, but I am
>
> Very, very vague. More information is needed. To help you form your
> intent:
> - What is the domain of the function?
> - What is the range of the function?
> - How do you define the term "fit"?
>
> To make things more concrete:
> - What is the application?

Ok, I will try and make myself clearer. Imagine doing a linear
regression on some 2d data, now I want to do that to 3d data. This data
is the vertices of a 3d mesh. To further complicate this I want to fit x
number of lines through the data such that if I just had a straight tube
it would simply fit one line through it, but if I was presented with an
L shaped tube I would fit two lines through this with 3 control points.

Adam

Piecewise Linear Function of 3d Points =>Re: Piecewise Linear Function of 3d Points =>