Subject: Re: Offset curves on a 3D surface for area coverage planning

4805455@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello. I am looking into existing algorithms for computing offset
> curves on a 3D surface. The intent is to use this algorithm to compute
> a planned path on a 3D surface that completely covers the surface.

That's somewhat self-contradictory. Curves don't ever "cover" a
surface. They simply lack the topological 2-dimensionality to do it.
The closest they can come is to fill it, in the sense of a fractal
curve getting arbitrarily close to any point in the plane.

What you're actually looking for is for a tool path (which is not
really a curve, but a surface or even volume in space) that covers an
approximation to given surface. In short, you're trying to roll your
own CNC milling tool path planning algorithms.

> The whole subject is wide open for me:

> 1. What is the best way to represent the surface?

None. No way is ever "the best" to do such a generic task.

> 2. What is the best way to represent a curve on the surface?

Dito.

Offset curves on a 3D surface for area coverage planning =>