Subject: Re: Mesh Correction Algorithm - Academic Question

Nick Wiedenbrück wrote:
> Adam Hartshorne schrieb:
>
>> For 2) I have tried the Jacobi Laplace Smoother available through
>> OpenMesh (I know nothing really about mesh smoothing), but found that
>> this technique redistributed my vertices but also moved them such they
>> no longer represented the surface particularly well.
>

> I think the following, similar two papers could help.
>
> http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/funke00finding.html
> http://wotan.liu.edu/docis/dbl/enitcs/2001_46__CLPRIT.html#
>
> Alternatively, if you only want to detect exactly planar
> regions, you could try an algorithm based on the computation
> of the following determinant. Let v1, v2, v3, v4 be the
> vertices of two adjacent triangles.
>
> |v1.x v1.y v1.z 1|
> |v2.x v2.y v2.z 1|
> |v3.x v3.y v3.z 1|
> |v4.x v4.y v4.z 1|
>
> If this solves to 0, the two triangles are coplanar.
>
> Nick

Thank you for the reply, but I think you have misunderstood my problem.
The papers you suggested were regarding planar areas of a mesh which is
not really the problem I face. I am trying to "smooth"/fix a mesh which
has effectively become twisted and faces have collapsed ontop of one
another or lie through each other. Simply looking for planar regions
will not really help.

Adam

Mesh Correction Algorithm - Academic Question =>Re: Mesh Correction Algorithm - Academic Question =>