Subject: Re: MMX Optimized Image Processing - Advice needed for data structure

On 22 May 2006 18:01:11 -0700, "ldb" wrote:

>The copy operation is definitely going to take far longer than you
>want. In a general case, I see no way of getting around this two-loop
>scheme for image processing. This becomes especially painful when you
>want to ensure data-alignment because your algorithm can end up looking
>like:
>
>Loop through rows
>> Do Unaligned bytes at start of row
>> Do SSE through middle
>> Do Unaligned bytes at end of row
>
>Which essentially turns into three loops inside an outter loop. I don't
>really see an 'effecient' nor 'painless' way to do this in general. The
>most effecient, and painless way, is to have two loops.

Along that line: During my travels and explorations as a programmer,
there have been *many* times where an attempt to "create a one-loop
solution" would result in four times the complexity (and four times the
effort, etc...). Odd, perhaps, but... sure did seem to be the case, more
often than not. One learns to just bite the bullet, and move on.

Jeff

http://jefftturner.com

MMX Optimized Image Processing - Advice needed for data structure =>Re: MMX Optimized Image Processing - Advice needed for data structure =>