Subject: Re: Fast search of closest point on a fix 3D polyline

"Jonni" wrote in message
news:1146690299.751161.151640@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

> I guess that somehow I can do that taking into account that the
> position of the input point does not change
> too much between 2 searches and so the closest point of a new search is
> likely to be close to the one of the previous search.

Without any knowledge of specific properties of your
polyline, the closeness of two input points does not
help you. Consider the problem in 2D. The "polyline"
is a circle (for simplicity of the argument) with center
(0,0) and radius 1. The first input point is (e,0) for
a small positive e. The closest point is (1,0). The
second input point is (-e,0) but the closest point is
now (-1,0), so searching near (1,0) will not quickly
find the closest point.

--
Dave Eberly
http://www.geometrictools.com

Fast search of closest point on a fix 3D polyline =>