Subject: Re: Creating barrel distortion

Johan Stäck wrote:
> I would like to process video, producing the illusion that it is watched
> through a convex (car rear view) mirror.

> The first step is obviously just a horizontal flip, but what is next?

I don't think there's considerable gain in splitting this into two steps.
Basically, what you'll be doing is distort the flip operation:

fx(x) = xmax - x

by replacing the straight-line function fx(x) by a curved one.
E.g. one like the usual "gamma compensation":

fx(x) = (1 - x/xmax)^gamma * xmax

The further away gamma is from 1.0, the stronger the effect.

Creating barrel distortion =>