Subject: Re: Anti aliasing

hi!!

you actually have to use offscreen buffer and pixel shader.

GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH antialiasses EDGES of polygon. not it's content - the
texture.
you will need to implement some high-frequency bandstop filter to ged rid of
aliassing artefacts.
also, be sure to look at GL_NV_FENCE, GL_ARB_PIXEL_BUFFER_OBJECT and
GL_ARB_FRAMEBUFFER_OBJECT to be able to do fast asynchronous transfers.
(google it)

i have some experience with processing HDTV video and we could make our
transfers as fast as 2GB/sec upload and 1.5GB/sec download (GeForce 6600 /
pci-x)

-tHE SWINe-

píse v diskusním príspevku
> Hi Everybody,
> I am working with a video processing application. I render a movie
> into a offscreen pbuffer and read it back as a texture. I am getting
> aliasing artifacts when I render the movie quad in the p-buffer.
>
> I tried using OpenGL GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH, but it doesnt seem to
> antialias
> a texture mapped quad. I used the following combination to render the
> quad.
>
> glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
>
> glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA_SATURATE,GL_ONE);
> glEnable(GL_BLEND);
>
> glEnable(GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH);
> glHint(GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH_HINT,GL_NICEST);
>
> I resorted to the hardware anti-aliasing through GL_ARB_multisample
> extension.
> But the 4X to 6X anti-aliasing quality isnt good enough for my
> application.
> Some edges still appeared jaggered.
>
> I tried using accumulation buffer and it gave me superior quality Anti
> aliasing.
> But if the p-buffer size is too huge(1920 X 1080) ie. HDTV resolution,
> this
> method is too slow.
>
> Is there any other method to anti-alias polygons? preferably using
> pixel shaders.
> I would appreciate any links or ideas in this direction.
>
> Quality is the main criteria for my application.
>

> Thanks in Advance,
> Yogesh Kini

Anti aliasing =>