Subject: Re: 3D camera question

Thank you so much. that is extremely helpful.

One additional question -- I have a matrix class that has an invert method,
but it is a 4x3 matrix, not a 4x4. Do the same rules below apply if I
attempt what you outlined below using the 4x3 matrix?

Again, so much thanks for your help.

> Directly. Assuming column vectors the matrix is:
>
> [ Xx Yx Zx Px ]
> C = [ Xy Yy Zy Py ]
> [ Xz Yz Zz Pz ]
> [ 0 0 0 1 ]
>
> where the camera axes are:
> X = (Xx, Xy, Xz)
> Y = (Yx, Yy, Yz)
> Z = (Zx, Zy, Zz)
> and the camera location is:
> P = (Px, Py, Pz)
>
> If Q is of the form [Qx, Qy, Qz, 1]^T, then it represents a point and C
> transforms Q to Q' of the form [Q'x, Q'y, Q'z, 1]^T (another point).
> If V is of the form [Vx, Vy, Vz, 0]^T, then it represents a vector and C
> transforms V to V' of the form [V'x, V'y, V'z, 0]^T (another vector).
>
> > Once I have that matrix, I then invert it. Once inverted I multiply any
> > existing world matrixes of each object by the camera matrix and that
should
> > be it?
>
> Yes, but not permanently, just for the matter of vertex transforming.
>
> > Any code/psuedocode would be really helpful.
>
> Okay, the following is not tested. Assume matrices are initialized into
> identity matrices.
>
> Vector4 cubeLocal[8] = {
> Vector4(-1, -1, -1, 1), Vector4(-1, 1, -1, 1),
> Vector4(1, 1, -1, 1), Vector4(1, -1, -1, 1),
> Vector4(-1, -1, 1, 1), Vector4(-1, 1, 1, 1),
> Vector4(1, 1, 1, 1), Vector4(1, -1, 1, 1)};
>
> Matrix4 cubeWorld;
> scale(cubeWorld, 2, 3, 4);
> rotate(cubeWorld, 0.2, 0.3, 0.5);
> translate(cubeWorld, 10, 15, 100);
>
> Matrix4 view;
> // Pick your view
>
> Matrix4 viewInversion(invert(view));
> Vector4 cubeView[8];
>
> while(!ready)
> {
> // Transform from local coordinates to view coordinates
> Matrix4 localToView(viewInversion * cubeWorld);
> for (int i = 0;i < 8;++i)
> {
> cubeView[i] = localToView * cubeLocal[i];
> }
> // Transform from view coordinates to screen coordinates
> // Render
> // Animate camera and the object
> rotate(cubeWorld, 0.1, 0,2, -0.1);
> rotate(view, -0.1, 0.04, 0.07);
> }
>
> --
> Kalle Rutanen
> http://kaba.hilvi.org

3D camera question =>Re: 3D camera question =>Re: 3D camera question =>Re: 3D camera question =>